Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) is an important horticultural crop and use. Worldwide for its delicious taste and nutritional aspects. It is native to South America. Tomato belongs to family Solanceae which is commonly known as nightshade family. It is commonly grown in subtropical areas of world. It is Perennial in its native habit but commonly grown as annual. Rather than grown in open fields it is commonly grown in control conditions like in green houses and screen houses. According to a report of Pakistan‘s Agriculture Department best temperature for its cultivation is between 14°c to 31°c and the best level of relative humidity is 65%. Pakistan is a big producer of it with the annual production of tomato 587000 tons (Pak. Stat. 2016).There are hundreds of varieties which are presently grown in world according to their Size, Taste, Color, Nutritional composition, Storage life and consumer demand. In Pakistan it is grown almost in all provinces. # health benefits tomato //
At present there are numerous techniques are used for commercial production of tomato from which the most important is vegetable grafting by which wild varieties are used and good taste and production carrying varieties are grafted onto wild. There are evidences of increase in yield and reduction of diseases. Grafting also improve the nutrient uptake of tomato plants.
Botanically it is a fruit but it is most commonly used as a vegetable mostly is Asian countries. Being a perishable produce its major part used in processed form like Ketchup and other sausages. World’s fast food industry is nothing without tomato. Tomatoes are becoming popular among home gardeners and the farmers associated with Organic farming. The health benefits can vary between types. As tomato is a very important vegetable of our region and mostly use in curies. We have to use it as a fruit to enjoy the accurate benefits of it.
There are many insect pests and diseases attack on it and need much care during the monsoon and in the season of high humidity. We also have to adopt Organic Farming for tomato and such type of other vegetable like chilies, Bell pepper, Egg plants and cucurbits etc. As the point of its nutritional importance and valuable dietary components it is a hot favorite fruit of nature lovers. According to researches done in the fields of medical science and agriculture science it is proved that tomato is the house of valuable nutrients.
The dietary profile of a tomato is described below to understand its importance;
Amount of different nutrients per 100g of Tomato.
Source: U.S. Department Of Agriculture. 4/1/2019
Read More Stories: How to manage tomato leaf curl virus
Health benefits of Tomato
- Tomatoes also help in lower urinary tract.
- Daily use of tomato helps in reducing cardiovascular issues.
- Tomato-based foods rich in lycopene and other plant compounds may protect against sunburn.
- A study in women shows that high concentrations of carotenoids — found in high amounts in tomatoes — may protect against breast cancer.
- A study in middle-aged men linked low blood levels of lycopene and beta-carotene to increased risk of heart attacks and strokes.
- They also show a protective effect on the inner layer of blood vessels and may decrease your risk of blood clotting.
- By improving the digestive system tomatoes may be helpful if you’re prone to constipation.
- Tomato has the high amount of Lycopene which is good for eyes and improves vision.
- Consuming tomatoes frequently reduces the risk of developing hypertension, also known as high blood pressure.
- Improve our immune system due to the presence of antioxidants.
- The presence of vitamin A in high quantities has been shown to reduce the effects of carcinogens.
By Bilal Akram and Syed Adeel Sajid