Apply Now for the job of Agriculture Extension Specialist in FAO
- Under the overall supervision of FAO Representative in Pakistan and in direct supervision of Provincial International Program Coordinator,
- this position will report on a day to day basis to the Project Coordinator and will work closely with Program Officer Resilience and Agriculture Market Value Chain Specialist in performing the following functions:
- Participatory extension methods and practice, ‘Farmer Field School’ approach, adult learning, \
- dryland agriculture systems, gender equality in agriculture.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Provide advice and guidance to the field teams on formation and facilitation of farmer groups/farmer marketing groups in the project targeted area for dissemination of set of sustainable agriculture practices for adaptive research and participative learning in the target districts;
- Participate in identification of project villages in consultation with M&E and GIS specialists within the FAO team.
- Work on identification/development of Sustainable Agriculture Practices together with the Dryland Farming Adviser and Resilience Officer
- Contribute to the development of training program to strengthen the capacity of men and women beneficiary farmers, non-beneficiaries, and other stakeholders.
- Train the technical field facilitator teams and provide technical backstopping in planning, management and delivery of trainings on assigned cropping system; and prepare relevant manuals to farmers on the best sustainable agriculture management practices
- Provide hand on assistance during the course of implementation of farmers training program through close collaboration and coordination with the field facilitators;
- Prepare and compile relevant information, communication and education materials for use by the field-based farmer field school facilitators.
- Support and facilitate FAO field teams in implementing and rolling out the sustainable agriculture practices and climate smart intervention;
- Facilitate field days and demonstrations, and prepare relevant manuals to farmers on the best sustainable agriculture management practices;
- Develop, document and disseminate appropriate best-practices in community-based approaches to natural resource management;
- Submit periodic progress reports as required;
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Master’s degree in plant/crop sciences or agriculture related technical disciplines, with expertise in the smallholder production systems of drought areas of Sindh;
- 8 years of extensive experience as a technical adviser of integrated agricultural and natural resource management projects focusing on smallholder farming systems in Pakistan;
- Excellent communication skills in English, Urdu, Sindhi and other local languages of Sindh, with demonstrated conceptual, analytical and report writing skills
- National o Pakistan
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Knowledge of United Nations and International Organizations’ administrative policies and procedures.
- Good knowledge of common administrative and financial rules and regulations
- Good knowledge of communication and documentation standards
- Knowledge and understanding of sourcing within the procurement function.
- Strong research skills, ability to conduct benchmarking analysis in support of vendor identification, selection and performance management.
- Display initiative and take responsibility for achieving agreed outputs within set deadlines and closely follow-up until successful outputs are achieved.
- Continue to seek new, innovative and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work assigned.
- Identify and recommend remedial measures to address problems in systems design or implementation
- Candidates will be assessed against the requirements listed above.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en