Bees are the pollinater and they help plants in pollination process. But bees also give honey that can be stored for a long time. And Bees honey is a natural, healthy food that is easy to sell to make money.
When to collect and process honey:
- In earlier times honey was sold in the comb.
- But now customers want honey that is removed from the comb.
- Bees make honey during the rainy season, when there are many flowers.
- Honey is mature 2 to 3 months after the rains start.
- The best time to collect honey is at sunset, when the bees are less active.
- This helps to avoid getting people stung by the bees.
Read More: Pakistan’s Honey Production Rises by 70%
How to Remove honey from the comb:
- Collect only sealed honeycombs.
- Sealed combs contain mature honey which has less water and can be kept for a long time.
- Do not harvest unsealed combs, because they have immature honey.
- Process the honey as soon as you harvest it, when the combs are still warm and the honey separates more easily.
- First, brush the combs to remove any bees. Remove any pieces of unsealed combs.
- Remove those parts of combs that have a lot of pollen, because pollen makes cloudy, poor quality honey.
- Honey is food and spoils when it gets wet, so buckets and all other equipment should be clean and dry.
- After brushing, crush the combs and put them in a bucket with small holes punched in the bottom, so the honey can drip out.
- Put the bucket with the honey comb over a larger bucket to collect the dripping honey.
- Cover the buckets with a black plastic bag, and tie it to keep the honey warm.
- Place the buckets in the sun for at least three hours, depending on the amount of honey and how hot the sun is.
- Take the containers back inside to sieve the honey while it is still warm.
- Use three sieves to remove all the particles from the honey.
- By the time the honey goes through the 3rd sieve, it will be very clean.
- Pack the honey immediately.
- If left in the open, honey absorbs water from the air and will spoil quickly.
- Pack honey in clean, dry glass or plastic bottles, so that the clients can see how good it is.
How do check maturity of honey?
Honey is mature 2 to 3 months after the rains start.
What is best time to collect honey?
The best time to collect honey is at sunset, when the bees are less active.