Around some farmers get low values for their coffee because it is unwell or poorly picked and not correctly dried and stored. So here you learn that How to Pick and Dry coffee
Red coffee is ripe:
1. If you pick the green fruit you will lower the excellence or quality of the harvest and you will leave a scar on the twig where diseases can enter.
2. Black fruit is overripe and decreases the quality of your harvest.
3. Cherries dried on the ground can get a bad taste and mould.
4. This lowers their price.
How to Pick and Dry Coffee:
1. One only pick red, ripe berries, not the half ripe ones.
2. Pick the coffee as often as the berries become ripe.
3. Never strip the berries, because that removes both green and ripe berries.
4. At the end of the harvesting season you should pick the black and unripe berries.
5. This helps to stop the spread of pests and diseases.
6. These black and green berries can be dried and sold as low quality, but never mix them with the red berries.
7. Coffee cherries are either dried first, or wet processed.
8. Dry the ripe cherries on tarpaulins or plastic sheets, not on bare earth.
9. When the sun comes out, put the coffee out to dry.
10. Spread the cherries just 3 centimetres deep.
11. Rake the coffee, so it dries evenly.
12. At night or if it rains, bring the cherries indoors.
13. Spread them on a concrete floor or on sheets.
14. Or you can protect cherries from the rain by wrapping them in tarpaulins.
15. Drying the coffee should take 5 to 8 days.
16. Buyers will check the dryness with a moisture meter, but we can use the sound of the beans as they are shaken, or by biting them, or by cutting one in half.
17. The moisture content should be 11 to 13 percent depending on the specifications of the buyer or the government.
18. If your beans are not dry enough you will get a lower price.
19. Store the dry beans in clean bags which are free from smells.
20. The store must be dry, well ventilated and rainproof.
21. Keep the bags off the ground on a wooden platform, or on pallets, to avoid absorbing moisture from the ground, and they should not touch the walls.
How many days coffee take to dry?
Drying the coffee should take 5 to 8 days.
Where to dry the coffee ripen cherries?
Dry the ripe cherries on tarpaulins or plastic sheets, not on bare earth.
What happens if coffee bean not dry properly?
If your beans are not dry enough you will get a lower price.