# Control Banana Weevil // The Banana weevil attack on banana plant and cause growth of plant, and plant grows slowly and produce small fruits on plant. They are small black insect with a long, curved snout. The weevils attack on banana stem, and make holes in the underground part and in the lower part of the stem. That also make the leaf sheaths split. You will observe tunnels made by the small, white grubs which are the young of the weevils, you will see this after cutting the stem open. The tunnels decline the plant, and it can fall over.
Read More: How to control Mealybug attack on Vegetables
How Banana weevils live:
- Banana weevils live in the trash around the banana plant.
- Weevils like hiding in the dried banana fibres at the bottom of the stem.
- Female weevils lay their eggs in the base of the stem, just above ground level, or in cut stems left after harvesting.
- The weevil eggs hatch into grubs that feed on the plant.
- The weevils are spread to a new garden through infested suckers.
Read More: Biological Control Of Locusts
How to Control Banana Weevil:
- Use clean suckers to avoid spreading weevils.
- Clean the suckers by trimming them with a knife to remove the old roots where the weevils may hide.
- Continue to keep weevils out of your garden by removing all the dried banana fibres and any infested plants.
- Chop up the infested plants and feed them to your animals.
- After harvesting the fruit, chop the stem into many small pieces and spread them around so that they dry quickly before weevils can lay eggs in them.
- Keep the soil bare for two feet, or 60 centimetres around the stool, so that the weevils do not lay their eggs in the banana plant.
- Fertilise the soil by adding manure every season.
- Mulch your plants, but keep mulch and manure 60 centimetres from the banana plant, so they do not attract weevils.
- Set traps for weevils remaining in the garden.
- Cover the stump with the split stem.
- This will attract weevils from within the stump and from other parts of the garden.
- Regularly check the trap for weevils and kill them.