The date palm is defenseless to several damaging pests and diseases. # Management for Date Palm
How to preventing pests and diseases
1. Reducing humidity in the groves helps prevent disease.
2. Trimming and weeding reduce humidity.
3. Trimming and intercropping also help prevent insect pests.
4. Weeds can increase the general humidity, so fungus starts to grow.
5. Weeds attract insect pests which then lay their eggs around the palms.
How to trim, intercrop and weed # Management for Date Palm //
1. Trimming means removing dry fronds that the palm does not need, as well as a few green fronds.
2. The fronds that are higher up must be kept, because the palm needs them.
3. Trimming prevents insects from laying their eggs on the fronds, and makes it easier to climb up the palm.
4. Trimming requires a special sickle, and is done in the springtime because the fronds are not as dry as in the summer, when trimming is more difficult.
5. The cuttings can be used for fuel or other things.
6. Planting vegetables or other leafy plants around the palm trees is called intercropping.
7. It helps prevent pests and diseases.
8. Vegetables require irrigation and fertilizing; this also benefits the palms.
9. Mixing dead leaves from the vegetables and leftover vegetation with the soil adds organic matter and increases the soil’s fertility.
10. Planting vegetables between the palm trees also attracts friendly insects that do not harm the palm trees.
11. Friendly insects kill the insect pests, and eat their eggs.
12. Weeding or hoeing removes weeds that live under and around the palm tree.
13. The weeds take water and nutrition from the palm trees.
14. Trimming, intercropping, and weeding on a regular basis will increase production, and improve the quality and size of the fruit.
15. The crop will also mature faster.
16. These activities also reduce the need for chemical pest control which can harm the dates and other crops.